domingo, 24 de maio de 2009

1144 ASHOKA

Attributed to Ashoka the Great

  • All men are my children. What I desire for my own children, and I desire their welfare and happiness both in this world and the next, which I desire for all men. You do not understand to what extent I desire this, and if some of you do understand, you do not understand the full extent of my desire.
  • Here (in my domain) no living beings are to be slaughtered or offered in sacrifice.
  • Respect for mother and father is good, generosity to friends, acquaintances, relatives, Brahmans and ascetics is good, not killing living beings is good, moderation in spending and moderation in saving is good.
  • To do good is difficult. One who does good first does something hard to do. I have done many good deeds, and, if my sons, grandsons and their descendants up to the end of the world act in like manner, they too will do much good. But whoever amongst them neglects this, they will do evil.

Truly, it is easy to do evil.

  • All religions should reside everywhere, for all of them desire self-control and purity of heart.

Nenhum comentário: